E komo mai! Assessment is an ongoing and interactive process consisting of the following steps:
- Defining the outcomes.
- Determining appropriate methods to assess the outcomes.
- Gathering evidence of the outcomes.
- Analyzing the evidence.
- Using this information to improve student learning and evolve the program/service.
O ke kahua mamua, mahope ke kūkulu. The site first, and then the building.
Our institution has established outcomes for all units:
1. Non-instructional units: Service Area Outcomes (SAOs)
Units or participants achieve SAOs after experiencing a particular initiative. SAOs are linked to our institutional Core Values (View Core Values at Mission Statement & Institutional Learning Outcomes).
2. Instructional units: Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs)
- Course Learning Outcomes (CLOs) after completing a course.
- Program Learning Outcomes (PLOs) after completing a specific degree or certificate.
- Institutional Learning Outcomes (ILOs – View ILOs at Mission Statement & Institutional Learning Outcomes) after completing any paths of study.
CLOs are mapped to PLOs and ILOs.
When you develop outcomes, please follow:
Eʻ au mālie i ke kai pāpaʻu, o pakī ka wai a pula ka maka. Swim quietly in shallow water lest it splash into the eyes.
When you develop assessment methods, please consult:
ʻIke ʻia no ka loea i ke kuahu. Experts are recognized by the altar they build.
When you collect your assessment evidence, please keep in mind:
- These prompt questions (PDF).
- Assessment reports are stored in eLumen (why we chose eLumen (PDF))
- eLumen: Roles, Coordinator list
- FAQs: Instructional, Non-Instructional
- eLumen trainings:
- Unit/Area Coordinator (instructional):
- Unit/Area Coordinator (non-instructional):
- 2020-2021: Assessments, Infographic (PDF)
- Missing outcomes and mapping (PDF)
ʻAʻohe o kāhi nānā o luna o ka pali; iho mai a lalo nei; ʻike i ke au nui ke au iki, he alo a he alo. The top of the cliff isn’t the place to look at us; come down here and learn of the big and little current, face to face.
Faculty and staff members analyze their SLOs and SAOs on an ongoing basis. Please review:
- Your eLumen result explorer: Check the eLumen trainings in the Evidence section above.
- Examples of analysis of: Course (PDF), Program (PDF), Service (PDF).
The assessment office focuses on ILOs:
- Logli, C. (2022). Culturally responsive assessment 2.0 through faculty and students’ voices. In G. Henning (Ed.), Reframing assessment to center equity: Theories, models, and practice in US higher education. Sterling, Virginia: Stylus Publishing.
- Logli, C. (2020). Culturally Responsive Assessment 2.0: Revisiting the quest for equity and quality in student learning. Research and Practice in Assessment, 14 (Winter), 19-31.
- Assessment Reports: 2014-2018 SLO Assessment Reports: Analysis (PDF); 2014-2018 SLO Assessment Reports Analysis (Summary) (PDF).
- 2018 General Meeting index cards: Fall 2018’s General Meeting: Index Cards Analysis (PDF); Fall 2018’s General Meeting: Index Cards Analysis (Summary) (PDF).
- COVID-19 survey: Results (PDF)
A hewa no he hale kanaka, ʻaʻohe hewa o ka hale kanakaʻole. Fault can be found in an inhabited house and none in an uninhabited one.
Action plans related to assessment findings develop in a variety of contexts, including:
- Examples of how to use results towards improvement: Video, Essay, Handout (PDF), PowerPoint (PDF).
- Assessment Discussions: Questions to facilitate your departmental dialogues around assessment results.
- Assessment Series:
- Assessment Ambassadors: Flyer (PDF), Participants’ Projects (PDF)
- Assessment Townhalls:
- Assessment Committee: Charter, Procedures [PDF], Membership, Minutes.
- Assessment Consultations: Call, email, or meet with me to set up one-on-one or departmental training.
- Faculty Development: Faculty Development Committee or email Ross Egloria, Distance Learning Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- UH-System Wide: Assessment Coordinators’ Group, Principles Statement (PDF)
Please contact us if you have questions. We are happy to support you!
Chiara Logli, Ph.D.
Faculty/Institutional Assessment Specialist
Honolulu Community College
874 Dillingham Blvd.
Building 27, Room 215H
Honolulu, HI 96817-4598
Phone: (808) 844-2317